I stumbled upon an interview with Bob Dylan the other day, it was in suggested videos below a music video I had just listened to. Naturally I was tickled and so I pulled it up and watched it. I'm not sure how recent it was, but it looked fairly current. The interviewer is a well-known TV personality who has been on a venerable weekly program that has been around since before I was born. The best thing about the video was the way Bob Dylan is so entirely self-possessed. He is himself, and his answers and the way he gives them reflect that. He always makes me laugh with his wicked sense of humor, and this time was no different. He never cracked a smile though and that was in such contrast to the photos of him that were shown of his youthful beginnings. He was often grinning ear to ear in those early photographs. Anyway, the interview was over quickly and there were so many questions I still wanted answers to. So I made a list of the queries I would make if ever given the chance to interview Bob Dylan. It's been years since I read Chronicles and I haven't read his new book yet, so I share my list with the knowledge that there may be answers to my questions within those covers. But, in the spirit of the fantasy that this interview is, the questions remain. Here they are:
1. Are you competitive?
2. What rendition of which artist's cover of of your music do you enjoy the most?
3. Do you consider yourself a happy person?
4. Have you ever had a dog? If so, tell us about that.
5. What was Johnny Cash like?
6. Do you cook? If so, what's your best dish?
7. What are your top five favorite books?
8. If you have any, what is your biggest regret?
9. What's the scariest thing you ever did?
10. Did you ever visit or record at Caribou Ranch in Colorado?
11. Do you recycle?
12. What are your thoughts on forgiveness?
13. What do you think about Pandora and the like?
14. Do you believe in reincarnation?
15. Which of your own songs is your favorite?
16. What music do you listen to?
17. Are there any music genres that you don't care for, or do you like all styles and flavors?
18. Do you sleep well and do you dream much?
19. What is your preferred guilty pleasure?
20. What is your favorite word?